Book Review: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

by - Wednesday, May 23, 2018




I just got back into reading and this is the first book that I finished. Last book I read is The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks in 2016 if I am not mistaken. 

This book, Thirteen Reasons Why intrigued me because I have seen the ads made by Netflix since they made an original series based on this novel. And this month would be the start of the second season. Netflix made another season which I was excited about because I don't know where would it lead since they already finished the book and Jay Asher helped in doing the plot of the 2nd series. 

When I bought the book there are two covers available, the one I bought and the other one got Clay Jensen's character which is kind of reflecting Hannah Baker (which is a bit pricey than the one I bought) so I got really hooked. Okay, let's move into the plot.

The Plot

The whole story revolves around the tapes which Hannah Baker, a high school student, made and sent to the other students from her school which made her decide to end her misery. She imparts the story of bullied students and how they might see things happening around them bearing in mind that they would never belong or would never be significant in this world. 

She was bullied through a gossip made by the guy she used to like and a negative reputation was established out of a comparison list made by an acquaintance which she thought was someone whom she can lean on since they were both new to the school. And series of events happened which I think made her feel like a toy being tossed around, played with and then thrown away after being torn and broken. 

The POV

The story is in a third person's point of view, Clay Jensen is the one narrating the story. The plot is really a thriller. It is unique and was able to capture what bullying was really like in the real world. I just wished that Hannah explained it more in detail before deciding to end it. 

It was bullying in two point of views. The view of the person being bullied. How she felt, how she build hatred to the people involved and how she understands their actions. And the view of a watcher, the person who sees how someone is being bullied. How this person feels the eagerness to help but at the same time the doubt to stand up against the bullies, being afraid that he might be next or being afraid to complicate things even more. 

The Climax

I think the climax happened at the party, wherein the 2 lead characters in this book shared a brief moment together. The climax for me is the most disappointing part. It is where I felt so disappointed to both Hannah and Clay. If she just opened up a bit she might have the help she needed. If he just insisted and pursued more, Hannah might gave in. 

The Climax also twisted into something darker that I never expected. You must really read this!

I hope I am not giving out so much information for those who are eyeing this book. 

The plot is so good and mysterious. The main characters are so strong and really has an impact in the real world. If the things that happened to Hannah Baker would happen to me, I think I might also consider what she did. But hey, we are now in the modern world. You can get all the help you need in just a few clicks. The story happened so fast that you will not have time to leave it hanging. It is about love, family, school, friendship, wanting to belong, reputation, hatred, revenge and more in between. 

On bullying...
As a child, I was also a victim of teasing and bullying. I think most of us might have experienced it at one point in our lives. It can happen inside the house, the neighborhood, the school, the office, anywhere. But I believe all of us has the power to stop it. 

Bullies would not be bullies if we would not be afraid to stand tall in front of them. I am not saying we must fight them physically, yes that can be done, but what's more effective is if we do not allow them to get inside our heads. They were satisfied if the person they are bullying cried, run away, ask for help or hide from them. Do not let that happen. Bullying happens if we let it happen. 

I know you might think it is easier said than done. We can get help but only you can stop it. It is up to you. How you take things. If bullies teases you, shouts at you, disrespects you, DO NOT MIND THEM. Let them see that what they are doing does not affect you. Improve yourself. Do not hide and blame yourself... or think that you do not fit in or that people do not want to be friends with you.

Hey! What others think of you is NOT important. What's important is that you GO ON with your life.

 "They could not stop me from being 'me', from reaching my dreams!"

Think that way. I know it's hard at first but as you go on telling this to your self you will become stronger. Reputation is not important, what matters is that you have a loving family and brighter future ahead of you. If people knew you as someone being bullied or a pushover try to be more choosy with the friends you make. Do not just trust every one. If you smell something fishy do not go. Do not keep things to yourself, most of the time it is better if you have friends to share your ideas and emotions too. Life is hard, do not make it harder for yourself. Step up and learn to fight!



You May Also Like

0 check comments here

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...